The Complete Resource for Effective Communication
Use words with precision.
Clear, concise definitions help you say exactly what you mean. With 61,000 entries, 3,000 of them new, this dictionary covers the practical language you need every day. Based on the prestigious Webster's New World College Dictionary, this compact desk edition is up-to-date, authoritative, and easy to use.
Write clearly and persuasively.
Succinct explanations of grammar and punctuation help you avoid common errors. Expert advice on word usage adds polish to your writing. The clear, readable style guide, now completely rewritten, includes numerous examples of the "e;do's and don'ts"e; of effective writing.
Get the information you need.
Helpful tables give quick access to frequently needed facts, from capitals of the states to measurement conversions. Tables are grouped together so that information is easy to find.
The dictionary you know and trust plus a complete, concise style guide and more
* Widely used scientific, technical, professional, and business terms
* Frequently used foreign words and phrases
* Common abbreviations
* Guide to pronunciation
* Concise word origins
* Basic rules of grammar, punctuation, and capitalization
* Proper expression of numbers
* Spelling and hyphenation of compound words
* Guide to proper use of frequently misused words and phrases
* Handy reference tables
Compact Desk Dictionary and Style Guide
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company