Comprehensive and current information for a disorder that affects 5 percent to 10 percent of all women of reproductive age.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a complex hormonal disorder which is characterized by a variety of symptoms like ovarian cysts, menstrual cycle irregularities and infertility. It is one of the most common hormonal disorders in women and many women are not aware they have PCOS, which can lead to serious complications beyond infertility and menstrual problems like chronic obesity, heart disease, diabetes, thyroid disorder and ovarian cancer.
PCOS needs to be better understood by women to help resolve infertility issues and to improve general health and longevity. This book provides the information all women need to know about the cause and process of PCOS, and sets out a plan to prevent this condition and treat it effectively. Chief among these treatments are dietary therapy, nutritional supplements, and medicinal herbs.
Part 1 -- PCOS Overview
- Symptoms, physiology and biochemistry of PCOS (explained in an easy-to-understand and illustrated format
- PCOS and associated conditions: infertility, obesity, thyroid function, the connection to insulin resistance, iodine and hormonal regulation, Vitamin D and hormonal regulation, understanding the connection between stress and hormonal regulation
Part 2 -- Therapy for PCOS
- Overview of dietary approaches that reduce glycemic index and carbohydrate load
- Herbs: key herbs for treatment, blood sugar and blood fat balancing herbs, herbs to regulate the menses and enhance fertility, herbs to support thyroid function, herbs to manage stress and support adrenal function
Part 3 -- 125 Recipes and Weekly Meal Plans
- Soups, salads and raw foods, vegetables and sides, main dishes, healthy desserts, breads and grains, beverages
PCOS is a challenging condition, but armed with the information in this book, women and their families can better manage and potentially overcome the disease.