From aperitif to digestif, approach every meal with savvy and grace.
We ve all experienced Fancy-Pants Restaurant Jitters at some point the fear that you will unknowingly commit some fine-dining crime, whether it s using the wrong fork, picking an amateur wine, mispronouncing "foie gras," or gasping when your fish entree arrives with its head still attached. Relax. "The Mere Mortal s Guide to Fine Dining" is the ultimate antidote to restaurant anxiety.
Where does your napkin go when you leave the table? Should you sniff the wine cork? And why, pray tell, "are" there so many forks? This comprehensive and accessible primer answers these and dozens of other questions and offers the basics on every aspect of fine dining, including:
* How to navigate a place setting
* Speaking menu-ese and the language of fine food
* A refresher on polite and polished table manners
* 911 for wine novices
* A carnivore s guide to beef, pork, lamb, and veal
* What local, sustainable, and organic "really "mean
* Japanese dining dos and don ts
* Who s who on a restaurant s staff
* How to be a regular or get the perks like one
* Top restaurants across the country
* What the food snobs know (and you should, too)
* And much more
With a little help, any Mere Mortal can order wine with confidence, get great, attitude-free service, decipher menus, and finally, truly, savor any dining experience."
The Mere Mortal's Guide to Fine Dining
From Salad Forks to Sommeliers, How to Eat and Drink in Style Without Fear of Faux Pas