A comprehensive manual for pre- and in-service ESL and EFL educators, this frontline text balances insights from current reading theory and research with highly practical, field-tested strategies for teaching and assessing L2 reading in secondary and post-secondary contexts. Teaching Readers of English:
- provides a through yet accessible survey of L2 reading theory and research
- addresses the unique cognitive and socioeducational challenges encountered by L2 readers
- covers the features of L2 texts that teachers of reading must understand
- acquaints readers with methods for designing reading courses, selecting curricular materials, and planning instruction
- explores the essential role of systematic vocabulary development in teaching L2 literacy
- includes practical methods for assessing L2 students proficiency, achievement, and progress in the classroom.
Pedagogical features in each chapter include questions for reflection, further reading and resources, reflection and review questions, and application activities."