Nurturing Massage for Pregnancy is one of the most comprehensive books available for massage students and licensed massage therapists who treat pregnant, laboring, and postpartum clients. The author is a highly skilled perinatal massage instructor who is also a registered nurse, childbirth educator, and doula. Written in clear and direct language, this useful guide offers step by step instructions for hundreds of techniques useful during the pregnancy, labor, and postpartum periods, including general techniques and those specific to common complaints. While focused on general Swedish massage, the book also integrates myofascial release, lymphatic drainage, acupressure, and reflexology, as well as complementary bodywork methodologies such as the use of breath and visualizations, stretches, hydrotherapy, and aromatherapy. Contraindications and precautions are examined thoroughly, health intakes forms are discussed with sample forms pictured, and case studies help highlight concerns and considerations. Video clips are available online for viewing specific technique demonstrations.
The text includes:
- Insert boxes including Self-Care Tips for the Mother, Massage Therapist Tips, Traditional Birth Practices, How the Partner can Help, and Dispelling Myths.
- Review questions and learning objectives to help focus the reader's understanding of the material.
- Video clips of techniques and concepts, indicated in the book with an icon directing the reader to the online companion Website.
- Common complaints for each phase of the perinatal cycle.
- Seven chapters on pregnancy, three on labor, and three on postpartum.
- Online appendices with resources for the practitioner and a quick list of contraindications.
- Over 100 photographs and line drawings