Khirbet et-Tannur is a Nabataean site dating from the second century B.C. to the fourth to sixth centuries A.D. located on a hilltop above the Wadi el-Hasa near Khirbet edh-Dharih, 70 km north of Petra along the King's Highway. In 1937, Nelson Glueck excavated Khirbet et-Tannur on behalf of the American Schools of Oriental Research and the Department of Antiquities of Transjordan, but died before completing a final report. Now in two extensively illustrated volumes, the results of Glueck's excavations are finally published, based on previously unstudied excavation records and archaeological materials in the ASOR Nelson Glueck Archive at the Semitic Museum, Harvard University. Volume 1: Architecture and Religion Volume 2: Cultic Offerings, Vessels, and Other Specialist Reports Volume 1 is devoted to the architecture of the temple, the dating of its successive phases, its sculptural decoration and iconography, and to a discussion of Nabataean religion, including the evidence for its connections with the religion of Iron Age Edom and its continuation at the temple of Khirbet et-Tannur well into the Christian era, before the A.D. 363 earthquake brought an end to the site. The volume closes with observations about iconoclasm at Khirbet et-Tannur, Khirbet edh-Dharih and Petra.
The Nabataean Temple at Khirbet Et-Tannur
Bristol Phoenix Press
Sociology: customs & traditions
Architecture and Religion
ANNUAL OF THE AMERICAN SCHOOLS OF ORIENTAL RESEARCH (ASOR)