With A New Epilogue by editor Barbara Graham
In this groundbreaking collection, twenty-seven smart, gutsy writers explode the clich+¬s and tell the real stories about what it's like to be a grandmother in today's world. Among the contributors:
- Judith Viorst exposes the high-stakes competition for Most Adored Nana.
- Anne Roiphe learns to keep her mouth shut and her opinions to herself.
- Elizabeth Berg marvels at witnessing her child give birth to her child.
- Judith Guest confesses her failed attempt to be the perfect grandmother.
- Jill Nelson grapples with unforeseen mother-daughter tensions.
- Ellen Gilchrist reveals how grandparenthood has eased her fear of death.
- Beverly Donofrio makes amends for her shortcomings as a teenage mother.
- Bharati Mukherjee transcends her Hindu upbringing to embrace her adopted Chinese granddaughters.
- Mary Pipher deconstructs the role of grandmother in our changing world.