Vacation travelers seeking truly unusual destinations and unforgettable experiences will find a wealth of ideas in this beautifully illustrated volume. Every experience described represents a genuine escape from the merely ordinary, whether it's contemplating a sunset from a minimalist mountain retreat, traveling on the Nile aboard a nineteenth-century cabin cruiser, enjoying a stay in a Newfoundland lighthouse, or taking that most classic of train journeys on the Trans-Siberian railway. Some of these intensely atmospheric locations are reasonably easy to reach--for instance, the colorful Saugerties Lighthouse on the shore of New York's Hudson River. Others, like the Hiram Bingham train, which goes to the lost Incan city of Machu Picchu, Peru, literally convey travelers to far corners of the earth. Just a few more of these many exotic travel experiences include--
- The U.K.: Comb Thatch Cottage, Devon--a romantic hideaway in the woods of a country estate . . . or Belle Isle Castle in Northern Ireland--a 470 acre estate comprising eight islands on the north end of Upper Lough Erne
- Finland: Kakslauttanen Hotel and Igloo Village
- Turkey: House of Wishes, Urgup--cave rooms carved out of the rocks of Cappadocia
- The Caribbean: Kamalane Cay, Bahamas--a heavenly beach resort renowned for its diving and fishing
- Bhutan: Uma Paro--a five-star hotel located amid the wild beauty of the Himalaya Mountains
- Seychelles: Cousine Island--a private island dedicated to nature conservation . . . and many, many more
Written by an international team of travel writers, critics, and globetrotters, and illustrated with more than 800 magnificent color photos, 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die offers inspiration for adventurous travelers and glorious dreams for all others who pick the book up for simple reading enjoyment.